Home/Stay Informed/All Diocesan Articles

All Diocesan Articles

Vatican Announces Press Conference on ‘Spiritual Experience’ of Medjugorje

Posted on September 17, 2024 in: News

Vatican Announces Press Conference on ‘Spiritual Experience’ of Medjugorje

Cardinal Víctor Fernández, prefect of the Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith, will lead a press conference on the “spiritual experience” of Medjugorje this Thursday, Sept. 19, at the Vatican.

The Vatican Press Office informed that at Thursday’s press conference on Medjugorje, which will take place at 11:30 a.m. local time, Fernández will be joined by Monsignor Armando Matteo, who serves as secretary to the dicastery’s Doctrinal Section, along with Andrea Tornielli, editorial director of the Dicastery for Communication.

The press conference is scheduled to be broadcast live on Vatican News’ YouTube page.

Although no additional details about the event have been released, the press conference is being held within the framework of the new “Norms for Proceeding in the Discernment of Alleged Supernatural Phenomena,” published in May by the Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith. Since then, the Holy See has issued rulings on various alleged Marian apparitions and devotions.

What’s happening in Medjugorje?

The alleged Marian apparitions in Medjugorje (Bosnia-Herzegovina) began on June 24, 1981. Six children were said to have been the recipients of the Virgin’s messages, of which three say they continue receiving messages daily.

In January 2014, the then-Congregation — now Dicastery — for the Doctrine of the Faith concluded a report requested by Pope Francis who, in November 2013, stated that the Virgin “is not a chief of the post office who would send messages every day,” without specifically mentioning Medjugorje.

Summarizing the content of the report, in 2017 Pope Francis indicated that the initial apparitions are something that “must continue to be investigated” while with regard to “presumed current apparitions, the report has its doubts.”

On that same occasion, the Holy Father pointed out “people go there and convert. People encounter God, change their lives.” This isn’t a result of “magic,” he said, but is a valid spiritual and pastoral fact that “can’t be ignored.”  

Earlier that same year, the pontiff had appointed Bishop Henryk Hoser as “special envoy” to Medjugorje. When he died in 2021, he was replaced by Monsignor Aldo Cavalli.

Since May 2019, Pope Francis has officially authorized the organization of pilgrimages to Medjugorje while cautioning that such pilgrimages should avoid “creating confusion or ambiguity under the doctrinal aspect.”

In recent years, including 202020212022, and 2023, Pope Francis has also sent messages to youth festivals held at Medjugorje.

 

 

By Walter Sánchez Silva, Nicolás de Cárdenas

This story was first published by ACI Prensa, Catholic News Agency’s Spanish-language news partner. It has been translated and adapted by CNA.

 

 


Most Viewed Articles of the Last 30 Days

Pope Proposes Lenten ‘Fast’ from Hurtful Words
Pope Leo XIV urges Catholics to listen more closely to God and others — and to “disarm” their language by fasting from words that wound — in his message for Lent 2026. In his message for Lent 2026, Pope Leo XIV urges Catholics to listen more closely to God and others — and to “disarm” their language by fasting from words that wound. The Lenten season begins Feb. 18 with Ash Wednesday. In the message, released Feb. 13, the pope offers a simple definition of Lent as a time when the Church “invites us to place ...

Read More

Welcome the Elect with a Diocesan Celebration of Faith--February 22, 2026
Rite of Election All parishioners are invited to attend the Rite of Election on Sunday, February 22, 2026, at 2:00 p.m. at the Cathedral of Saint Patrick in Norwich. The liturgy will be celebrated by The Most Reverend Richard F. Reidy, Bishop of Norwich. Your presence is a powerful sign of welcome and encouragement for those preparing to enter or be received into full communion with the Catholic Church. The Rite of Election, celebrated on the First Sunday of Lent, is one of the most moving moments in the Church’s year. During this liturgy, catechumens and candid...

Read More

Ash Wednesday at the Cathedral: “Return to Me… It Is Not Too Late.”
The Diocese of Norwich entered the holy season of Lent with the celebration of Ash Wednesday Mass at the Cathedral of Saint Patrick, with the Most Reverend Richard F. Reidy as celebrant, concelebrated by Father Ted Tumicki and Father Brian Romanowski. In his homily, Bishop Reidy set the tone for Lent with words that were both direct and deeply hopeful. He began by drawing attention to the opening call of the prophet Joel—words the Church places on our lips at the start of the season: “Return to me.” Bishop Reidy reminded the faithful that those words ar...

Read More

Registration Open for Women’s Conference: “Dinner with Jesus”
Women of the Diocese are invited to an evening of faith, reflection, and fellowship at the upcoming Women’s Conference, “Dinner with Jesus”, on Wednesday, March 25, 2026, from 5:30–9:00 p.m. at TPC River Highlands in Cromwell. The conference will feature guest speaker Jennifer Hubbard, a Sandy Hook mother and author of Finding Sanctuary. Her memoir was named the Catholic Media Association’s #1 Memoir and offers a powerful witness of faith and hope. “Dinner with Jesus” is designed to give women an opportunity to step away from ...

Read More

Lifeboat: A Radical Reorientation for Catholic Survival
The Cathedral of St. Patrick’s in Norwich, CT is pleased to welcome Fr. Herald Joseph Brock, CFR (Franciscan Friars of the Renewal), for the 2026 Lenten Mission, on March 9–11, 2026, at 6:30 PM each evening. The Mission is open to all—please save the dates and help spread the word. A Lenten Mission is an invitation to “put out into the deep,” embrace deeper conversion, anchor ourselves more firmly in Christ, and rediscover our mission in Him. We look forward to gathering as a diocesan Church for these grace-filled evenings of clarity, e...

Read More

Bishop Reidy to Celebrate Mass for Life and Lead Bus Trip to Connecticut March for Life
All are invited to take part in a day of prayer and public witness at the Connecticut March for Life on Wednesday, March 18. Mass for Life The day will begin with a Mass for Life at 8:30 a.m. celebrated by Bishop Richard F. Reidy at the Cathedral of St. Patrick, 213 Broadway, Norwich. Cathedral students will be attending, and all parishioners are encouraged to join them in praying for the dignity of every human life, from conception to natural death. Bus Trip and Schedule Following Mass, participants will depart at 9:30 a.m. on a deluxe DATTCO motorcoach for Har...

Read More

 

 

Annual Catholic Appeal

ACA DONATE

English

Español

 

 

Latest Articles
Lifeboat: A Radical Reorientation for Catholic Survival
Ash Wednesday at the Cathedral: “Return to Me… It Is Not Too Late.”
Bishop Reidy to Celebrate Mass for Life and Lead Bus Trip to Connecticut March for Life
Pope Proposes Lenten ‘Fast’ from Hurtful Words
Diocesan Catholic School Basketball Tournament
Roots of Reverence: Observing Lent as a Family
Welcome the Elect with a Diocesan Celebration of Faith--February 22, 2026
Calendar of Parish Events from Around the Diocese
Recently Added Galleries
Click to view album: Adventure, Faith and Fellowship with Bishop Reidy
Click to view album: Ninety-Fifth Anniversary of the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Saint Brendan the Navigator Catholic Community
Click to view album: Episcopal Ordination of Bishop Richard F. Reidy
Click to view album: Students Called to Feed the Hungry
Signup for Weekly Newsletter


    Roman Catholic Diocese of Norwich
    201 Broadway
    Norwich, CT 06360-4328
    Phone: 860-887-9294