Catholic Charities is celebrating a long partnership with the Norwich Diocesan Council of Catholic Women.
Catholic Charities can trace its beginning to a meeting of the New London branch of the Connecticut Council of Catholic Women in May of 1921. Mrs. Frank L. McGuire, president of the council's New London branch, presided over the meeting in which Rev. Matthew Judge, diocesan director of Catholic Charities, discussed the need for a Diocesan Bureau of Social Services in Eastern Connecticut.
Catholic Charities was formed, and has enjoyed working closely with the council since that time.
One of the NDCCW’s areas of charitable work is the Layette program. For more than 40 years, the council has planned the Layette program for the collection of baby items. These include clothes for babies from birth through age three, diapers and wipes, and other much-needed items. Women from all the parish guilds in the diocese bring car-loads of new clothes, handmade blankets, diapers and more, which is donated to the Catholic Charities pregnancy program that helps low income families.
The NDCCW also offers support by giving much-needed funds to help Catholic Charities continue its mission of “Providing Help and Creating Hope.”
As we at Catholic Charities celebrate our 99th anniversary, the need in Connecticut continues to be apparent, especially during this critical time of quarantine, business closures and social distancing. The agency relies heavily on our supporters, and we are blessed to have such a committed partner in the Norwich Diocesan Council of Catholic Women. We certainly could not do all the work that we do throughout Eastern Connecticut without the council’s help.
Catholic Charities is proud to show our gratitude and appreciation to all the women of the Norwich Diocesan Council of Catholic Women for their support and involvement over the years.
By Laura Malone